Monday, April 23, 2012

My New Surf Rod and Reel

April 23 is my birthday, so my wonderful wife surprised me by taking to Bass Pro Shops to pick out a new surf rod and reel.  I was able to get whatever I wanted, but with the primary purpose of this to be a "back-up" for the days when it isn't a good idea to be fly fishing.  We headed to Arundel Mills, to pick out my present.  I had been looking at the St. Croix Mojo Surf, but decided to make a more economical decision and went with the Tsunami Airwave in the 9' length to cast lures in the 1 to 3 1/4 oz. range.  I matched that up with the Penn Battle 5000 spinning reel and I picked up Suffix 832 30lb. braid to spool it up with.  That should make an awesome, striper ass kicking set up for those days when the fly rod won't get it done, due to crowds, wind, or some other circumstance.  I need to pick up some bombers, poppers, etc. to cast with it, so look for a post with my haul once I get to the store to pick those up.  Also, after a few trips with the new set-up I will be posting my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment